Vietnamese chicken salad
Perfect for spring, low-fat, but filling and full of flavour
Nutrition per serving
2 double chicken breasts (250g per person approx.)
2 limes, juiced and zested
1 long red chili, de-seeded and chopped
300g green beans, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 baby cos lettuce, diced up
Punnet cherry tomatoes cut in half
2 handfuls of bean sprouts
Bunch of mint leaves
1 tbsp of fish sauce
1 tbsp of dark brown sugar
Ground black pepper to taste
Preparation time 15-20mins
Cooking time 15mins
Equipment Fry pan, large mixing bowl, small mixing bowl, chopping board, knife, spoon, tongs
- Combine lime juice, rind, fish sauce, sugar, chili and pepper and mix in a bowl.
- Cut chicken breasts lengthways, into halves and place into a bowl. Pour over some of the dressing and let marinate for 15mins.
- Cook beans in boiling water until cooked al dente. They should still be slightly crunchy. Once cooked, cool down in iced water.
- Cook chicken in frypan on a medium heat, allowing to brown on each side. Once cooked, remove and slice into half-centimetre slices.
- Combine lettuce, bean sprouts, beans, tomato and mint in a large mixing bowl and dress with some of the dressing leaving a spoonful for topping before serving.
- Place salad onto a plate, top with chicken, placing in a small circle; drizzle remaining dressing over chicken and place top of mint branch into middle of chicken circle.