Cranberry and apple energy bar
Energy and vitamin-packed bars that are ideal for any race distance
(makes 20 bars)
250g large rolled oats
40g brown sugar
210g dried cranberries
40g dried apple, chopped
45g dates, chopped
45g sunflower seeds
20g sesame seeds
85ml apple juice
140ml clear honey
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 35mins
Equipment Mixing bowl, small saucepan, baking sheet 3 to 5cm deep, baking parchment
- Preheat your oven to 170°C. Chop the dates and apple into small pieces and add to a large mixing bowl, along with the oats, cranberries, sunflower and sesame seeds.
- Cut the butter into chunks and, along with the honey, apple juice and sugar, add to a small pan.
- Heat until it’s bubbling and then pour this mixture onto the oats and fruit in the bowl. Stir well and allow 5mins for the oats to absorb the moisture.
- Line the baking sheet with the parchment and add the mixture, pressing very firmly to compress it. Cover with another sheet of baking parchment and bake for 20mins.
- Cool thoroughly, and then cut to your desired shape. Cover with clingfilm and keep in the fridge until required.